S. Burnett & Associates Limited (SBA) is an established engineering and environmental consulting firm with a reputation for delivering strong project management and consultation services for Municipal, First Nation and Private Projects. SBA is currently accepting resumes for the Human Resources (HR) Generalist position.
The ideal Human Resources Generalist is a self-starter who will perform a variety of HR responsibilities, including facilitating new hires for the company. This will include screening, recruiting, interviewing, and placing workers. They will onboard new employees and guide new employees through the process of benefits and compensation. HR will also represent both the employee and the company with employee relations and other HR-related activities. The HR candidate will be organized and perform administrative and strategic hiring duties. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for maintaining and updating health and safety procedures and our Health and Safety Manual, maintaining and updating our Employee Manual, and coordinating co-op student hiring.
- Review, track, and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, professional licensure, overseeing employee health and safety procedures, and courses for Field Staff and Sampling.
- Recruit, interview, and facilitate the hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions; collaborates with departmental managers to understand the skills and competencies required for openings.
- Conduct and acquire background checks and employee eligibility verifications.
- Implement new hire orientation and employee recognition programs.
- Perform routine tasks required to administer and execute human resource programs, including but not limited to compensation, benefits, leave, disciplinary matters, disputes and investigations, performance and talent management, productivity, recognition, occupational health and safety, and training and development.
- Handle employment-related inquiries from applicants, employees, and supervisors, referring complex and sensitive matters to the appropriate staff.
- Attend and participate in employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, and investigations.
- Maintain compliance with Federal and Provincial employment laws and regulations and recommended best practices, review policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and Skills
- Organized and efficient in daily tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
- Goal-oriented, organized team player.
- Creative problem solver who thrives when presented with a challenge.
- Great people skills and professional attitude.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business, or a related field.
- Three to five years of experience in a human resources position or related position.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, and demonstrated skills in database management and record keeping.
- Specialized training in employment law, compensation, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, safety, training, and preventive labour relations, preferred.
- General knowledge of employment laws and best practices at Federal and Provincial levels.
- Possesses superb spoken communication skills.
Working at SBA
SBA is a company that values community, attention to our client’s needs and excellence in our services. We strive to create a positive work/life balance to appreciate the hard work of our employees and provide a welcoming, positive, and inclusive work environment. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to valuing diversity and inclusivity in the workplace, and we welcome resumes from all qualified candidates.
What we offer:
- Competitive compensation.
- Flexible working hours and work-from-home opportunities.
- Inclusive benefits package – 100% on dental, extended health care including prescription drugs, vision and professional services including massage and chiropractor.
- Additional fitness/wellness benefits.
- RRSP company matching plan.
- Recruiter’s bonus for referred and hired employees.
- Yearly company events include friendly staff golf tournaments, summer BBQs, and Christmas parties.
- We seek to develop relationships with a broad and diversified client base in the First Nation, Municipal and Private sectors. We work on various projects throughout Ontario and maintain close relationships with our clients to provide services as their communities grow. We encourage involvement in the community and support our local communities with initiatives, events and sponsorships.
How to Apply
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com.